Great Bear Recreation Park
Up for a Great Time Anytime of Year.
Great Bear Recreation Park offers more than 220 acres of fun and excitement. As the largest park in the Sioux Falls Park and Recreation Department, Great Bear is a part of the Loess Mountain Range and features year-round activities from skiing and relaxing nature walks to tubing and backcountry hiking experiences. Click the links on the left to learn more and plan a trip to one of South Dakota’s top natural attractions.
Winter at Great Bear
Our Rossignol Experience Shop offers equipment rentals for snow skiing, cross country skiing, snowboarding and adaptive skiing.
Great Bear is ready for you to have a good time. If this is your first time to Great Bear, we will help you every step of the way. Our snow park includes the following:
- Downhill Skiing
- Cross Country Skiing
- Telemark Skiing
- Snow Tubing
- Snowboarding Terrain Park
- Snowsports School
- Food and Beverages in The Lodge
- 14 ski/snowboard trails and terrain park with 1 quad chairlift, 1 conveyor style lift and 1 rope tow lift.
- 6 levels of Ski/Snowboard Lessons from our PSAI certified SnowSports School.
- 4 mile trail system of groomed cross country ski trails.
- 12 tubing lanes so you won’t have to wait long to get to the top and ride down!
Snowmaking and Grooming
Great Bear works very hard to ensure we provide the best experience to everyone. We pride ourselves on being able to cover 100% of our ski, snowboard and tubing trails with the latest in snowmaking and snow grooming technology, including:
- 17 snow guns
- 2 snow cats
- Dedicated team working overnight to ensure your snow is powder fresh!
Spring/Summer and Fall and Great Bear
Great Bear provides the perfect setting for hiking, bird watching or you can enjoy a picnic on our 4-mile trail system. Our location provides the perfect setting for your Special Event in Sioux Falls, SD.
- Hiking Trails
- Dog Walks
- Bird Watching
- Event Facility
- You can see 32 miles of visibility on a clear day from our scenic overlook on Overlook Trail.
- Great Bear has five wooden bridges crossing creeks and ponds throughout our 220 acres.
- You will find 8 species of trees on the foot traffic only trails.